Use firm French or Artisan Bread. The bread should stand up straight when holding it upright. It if falls over, don’t use it. These can be used in French Onion Soup or as the base for a Bruschetta.
- Firm French Bread or Artisan Loaf, sliced about 1/2 inch thick (16 slices)
- Silvers of unsalted butter
- Step 1 Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 3 Slice a firm French or Artisan bread into 1/2 inch thick slices and lay them out on the lined baking sheet.
- Step 4 Using a butter knife, take paper thin silver of butter and dab a couple over the top of each slice.
- Step 5 Place the baking sheet in a pre-heated 375 degree Fahrenheit oven and bake for 12-14 minutes. They should be crunchy and just starting to turn golden brown.
- Step 6 Remove from the oven and place the croutons on a wire rack to cool.