Mushroom Crêpes make a wonderful and satisfying brunch dish for the weekend. The filling is made from a flavorful Mushroom Duxelles recipe mixed with cream cheese. The crêpes can be made from scratch (recipe below) or store bought. Once the crêpes are filled and rolled, you add a Swiss Gruyère Béchamel Sauce over the top and bake.
The recipe for the Mushroom Duxelles is below. Of course you can simply sauté mushrooms, but this will add so much more flavor. Once you make the Mushroom Duxelles, add the cream cheese and mix well. If you have a large family, you will want to double this recipe. This recipe makes enough for 6 crepes (2-3 servings.)
When making Crêpes Suzette, I always make my own crêpes. However, this time I bought them since I didn’t have enough time. You can see that one split apart on me, which typically doesn’t happen when I make them from scratch. These were also much larger. I trimmed the ends to fit the baking dish. Simply place a spoonful or two of the Mushroom Duxelles cream cheese mixture on the inside of one crêpe. Roll and place in a baking dish that has been coated with a no-stick spray. Repeat.
My grocery store (Meijer) carries a shredded Swiss Gruyère cheese blend which is perfect for this Béchamel Sauce. If you can’t find this, I would just use shredded Gruyère cheese. For the Béchamel Sauce, I used 3 tablespoons of butter (or ghee) to 3 tablespoons of flour for the roux. Stir in a medium saucepan on a low heat for a couple of minutes to cook the flour and until the roux is smooth. You don’t want this roux to turn brown. If it starts to darken, check your temperature.
Whisk in the heavy whipping cream or half-n-half and milk slowly. Continue to whisk to ensure there are no lumps as it thickens. Add the shredded Swiss Gruyère cheese and stir. Grate some fresh nutmeg into the sauce, add a little kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir. It should be a smooth, creamy mixture when finished. Add a little more milk if it is still too thick. Pour the sauce over the crêpes. NOTE: This Béchamel Sauce recipe will make more than you need. If you double the Mushroom Duxelles, you should have enough sauce to pour over 12 Mushroom Crêpes.
Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20-30 minutes until the crêpes are cooked through and the sauce has just started to brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
If you like my Mushroom Crêpes recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
- Mushroom Duxelles (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 6 crêpes (recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or ghee
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or half-n-half
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 3 ounces shredded Swiss Gruyère or Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 Prepare your Mushroom Duxelles per the recipe below. Mix them with cream cheese.
- Step 2 Make your crêpes (recipe below) or use store bought. Take a spoonful or two of mushroom cream cheese mixture and fill each crêpe. Roll and place in a baking dish that has been sprayed with a no-stick cooking spray. If you use store bought crêpes, you may need to trim the edges.
- Step 3 Make your Béchamel sauce – Melt the butter or ghee in a medium saucepan. Add in the flour. Whisk over low heat for a couple of minutes to cook the flour and until the roux is smooth. You don’t want this roux to turn brown. If it starts to darken, check your temperature.
Whisk in the heavy whipping cream or half-n-half and milk slowly. Continue to whisk to ensure there are no lumps as it thickens. Add the shredded Swiss Gruyère cheese and stir. Grate some fresh nutmeg into the sauce. Add a little kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir. It should be a smooth, creamy mixture when finished. Add a little more milk if it is still too thick.
- Step 4 Pour the Béchamel Sauce over the filled crêpes.
- Step 5 Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Serve Immediately.
NOTE: These Mushrom Crêpes will be very soft and may break apart.
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, finely diced
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 spring fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons vermouth or white wine
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Step 1 Finely diced the mushrooms and shallots. Mince the garlic. Set aside.
- Step 2 In a large frying pan, melt the butter.
- Step 3 Sweat the shallots and minced garlic until tender.
- Step 4 Add the mushrooms. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Step 5 Add the thyme and parsley and sauté until dry.
- Step 6 Add the vermouth or white wine and sauté until the mushrooms are dry.
- Step 7 Add the heavy cream and sauté until the mushrooms are dry.
NOTE: The mushrooms should be completely dry to use to make a Beef Wellington.
- 4 1/2 ounces pastry flour, sifted
- 1 ½ ounce granulated sugar
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 9 ounces whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Buerre Noisette butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Step 1 In a small bowl, sift the flour. Add the sugar and salt and set aside.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, mix the whole eggs, egg yolks and milk together.
- Step 3 Add to the dry ingredients.
- Step 4 Add the beurre noisette (brown butter) and vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract.
- Step 5 Let sit in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours.
- Step 6 In a non-stick pan, add a little butter for the first crêpe. You should not need it for the following crêpes. Pour a light layer of batter into the pan, approximately 1/4 cup. Cook 1-1 1/2 minutes on the first side, while moving the pan to loosen the crêpe. Lift the edges with a spatula or your fingers and cook up to 1/2 minute on the other side.
- Step 7 Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Step 8 Cover with wax paper while you make the sauce.
1 thought on “Mushroom Crêpes”