Smoked Sausage with Tomatoes, Onions and Green Peppers
I am not sure where my Mother found this Smoked Sausage With Tomatoes, Onions and Green Peppers recipe. She made it for years and it is a family favorite. The smoked sausage gives the sauce quite a bit of flavor. It is perfect served over white rice.
I had to look up if Smoked Sausage is beef or pork. I checked a couple of brands and it is beef, pork and turkey. That was a surprise. I actually had lost my Mother’s recipe. I found something like it online, but it is different than what she made. They used Kielbasa which doesn’t add flavor like the Smoked Sausage does. It also had stewed tomatoes, but she never used them. She always used whole tomatoes and two cans so there was always enough sauce to go over the rice. They also added other ingredients that we never used. We kept it simple. The sweetness from the peppers and onions perfectly balance the acidity of the tomatoes and smokiness of the sausage. The kids should like this one.
This recipe is very simple to make. Slice the smoked sausage, onions and green peppers. Add them to a large pan. I use a 12″ pan for this. Add all the whole tomatoes that have been squished between your fingers. Season with pepper and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes until everything is tender. Stir occasionally. Serve immediately over white rice. So easy!
If you like my Smoked Sausage With Tomatoes, Onions and Green Peppers Recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
Smoked Sausage With Tomatoes, Onions & Peppers
A simple and flavorful smoked sausage dish with tomatoes, onions & green peppers. A family favorite!
- 14 ounce link Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes, squished through your fingers
- 14.5 ounces whole tomatoes, squished through your fingers
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooked white rice
- Step 1 Slice the smoked sausage, onions and green peppers.
- Step 2 Add them to a large pan. I use a 12″ pan for this.
- Step 3 Add all the whole tomatoes that have been squished between your fingers.
- Step 4 Season with pepper.
- Step 5 Simmer for 50 to 60 minutes until everything is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Step 6 Serve immediately over cooked white rice.