I have been trying to get creative and using what I have on hand admist the Covid-19 stay at home restrictions. Plus I am trying to clean out the freezer for some other options to purchase.
I had a package of puff pastry, some pork breakfast sausage and ground pork in the freezer so I decided to put together a Sausage Roll. So simple and quick to make. The hardest part was to mix the pork breakfast sausage and ground pork together with some seasonings. The rest is so easy!
In a large bowl, mix the pork breakfast sausage and ground pork and add the seasonings. Lay the mixture along the center of one sheet of puff pastry. Add a squiggle of Honey Mustard along the top.
Roll up the sausage meat in the pastry. Turn over so the seam side is down. With the wrong end of a butter knife, make a cross hatch pattern along the top side of the puff pastry.
Bake in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for approximately 30-35 minutes until golden brown and the sausage is cooked through. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Cut and serve. Couldn’t be easier!
NOTE: Oops! This was a quick pull together meal from something that I had in the house. I didn’t look at any other recipes for it. I had tried one from a British Food Truck here in the area a few months ago. The puff pastry was a little too thick on the bottom. I forgot to roll out the pastry and only use what I needed which would have made for a thinner crust. So be sure to roll out the pastry first and then use just enough to roll the sausage in the pastry. Cut off any excess.
If you love this Sausage Roll recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
A flavorful Sausage Roll perfect for breakfast/brunch or lunch. Very easy to make.
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage (no casings)
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed dried parsley
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 In a large bowl, mix the pork breakfast sausage, ground pork, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, ground thyme, ground sage, onion powder, crushed dried parsley and cayenne pepper.
- Step 3 Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry.
- Step 4 Lay out the pork mixture on top of the center of the pastry.
- Step 5 Spread the honey mustard on top. (You can also use Dijon mustard. I prefer a sweeter honey mustard for this.)
- Step 6 Roll up the sausage meat in the pastry. Turn over so the seam side is down.
- Step 7 Using the blunt end of a butter knife, make a cross hatch pattern on the top of the puff pastry.
- Step 8 Cut into slices.
- Step 9 Place in the oven on a parchment or Silpat® lined baking tray.
- Step 10 Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the sausage is cooked through. May be eaten warm or cold.