Holiday Sweet Potato Casserole
I am not a big fan of plain sweet potatoes, but I do look forward to my Mother’s Holiday Sweet Potato Casserole, a classic. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be complete without it. This recipe was probably on the back of some can of yams years ago or in an old cookbook. I never saw a recipe. I just learned by watching her.
The goal every year is to see if they can be cooked without someone burning the marshmallows on top. Just kidding, but the marshmallows have burned in the past. LOL!
You could cook and mash regular sweet potatoes, but everyone is busy around the holidays. My Mother always used canned yams/sweet potatoes and they were still delicious. So don’t stress yourself out, take a shortcut and try this easy version.
This is a quick and simple recipe. Mash the sweet potatoes with the brown sugar and 1/2 of the drained mandarin orange juice. Season with salt and pepper. Place the mixture in a baking dish. Next, place the drained mandarin oranges and pecans (optional) over the sweet potatoes. Add dabs of butter over everything. Now it’s time to bake. Add the mini marshmallows during the last 7-8 minutes of cooking. They will melt and turn lightly golden brown. Watch carefully so they do not burn!
This Holiday Sweet Potato Casserole is luscious and moist, with just the right amount of sweetness and everything you would expect for your holiday table. It is sure to become a family favorite!
If you love this recipe, please leave a comment below and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your beautiful photos on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and watch for more Holiday recipes.
Holiday Sweet Potato Casserole
A luscious sweet potato casserole with wonderful golden marshmallows on top.
- 60 ounces Bruces Yams, Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 11 ounces Mandarin oranges, drained reserve juice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ounces pecans, chopped pieces (optional)
- 4-5 tablespoons butter, cut into slices
- Mini marshmallows
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 Spray the bottom of a baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, mash the drained sweet potatoes.
- Step 4 Stir in the brown sugar, 1/2 the juice from the mandarin oranges, salt and pepper.
- Step 5 Place the seasoned mashed potatoes with the brown sugar in the baking dish and smooth out to an even layer.
- Step 6 Place the drained mandarin oranges and the pecan pieces (optional) over the sweet potatoes. I like to push the mandarin oranges down into the sweet potatoes.
- Step 7 Add small dabs of butter over everything.
- Step 8 Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Step 9 Remove from the oven.
- Step 10 Turn the oven up to 375 degrees. Add the mini marshmallows to the sweet potatoes. Be careful. They will puff up and could go over the baking dish, so don’t add to many around the edge.
- Step 11 Return to the heated oven and allow the marshmallows to melt for approximately 6-8 minutes. Watch carefully, so they do not burn.
1 thought on “Holiday Sweet Potatoes”
As someone who has burned the marshmellows, I agree that you have to watch this carefully. I put it under the broiler and watch it like a hawk now. I’ve never use the juice from the mandarin oranges, just mixed the oranges in with the mashed sweet potatoes.