Corned Beef and Cabbage
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Of course, the main meal for the day is Corned Beef and Cabbage with carrots and red potatoes.
I make the Corned Beef in the crock pot. It is so easy and the meat is juicy, extremely tender and slices easily. In a 6 quart crock pot, place 2 flat cut corned beef briskets. I always make two since they shrink. Add the yellow mustard and dry mustard. Place the contents of the seasoning packets that were included with the briskets, the pickling spice and the bay leaf in cheesecloth and tie with a string for easy retrieval. Cover everything with water. Cook on high for 7 hours. Remove the corned beef briskets, slice and serve immediately.
You can boil the cabbage and carrots in a separate pot so they are done concurrently with the corned beef. Instructions are below. However, I hate doing dishes, so I typically cook the cabbage and carrots in the crockpot. I skim the broth in the crock pot and remove any scum or seasonings that may have escaped the cheesecloth after I have removed the corned beef. I then add the prepped cabbage, carrots and add more water to cover everything. I cook on high for 3 hours or until the cabbage and carrots are fork tender. This method means you will have to reheat the corned beef, but the cabbage and carrots will have the same flavor from the broth, just a little weaker.
I use Side Delights® Steamables Red Potatoes so I can make them in the microwave at the same time that the cabbage and carrots are cooking. Follow directions on the back of the package.
Additionally, my Shallot Compound Butter recipe goes really well with the boiled red potatoes.
If you like my Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
A tender, juicy, flavorful and easy to make Corned Beef Brisket.
- 2 Corned Beef Briskets (flat cut)
- 1 heaping tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 seasoning packets (included)
- 1 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Step 1 In a 6 quart crock pot, place both corned beef briskets.
- Step 2 Add the yellow mustard and the dry mustard.
- Step 3 Place the contents of the seasoning packets that were included with the briskets, the pickling spice and the bay leaf in cheesecloth and tie with a string for easy retrieval.
- Step 4 Cover everything with water.
- Step 5 Cook on high for 7 hours. Remove the corned beef briskets, slice and serve immediately.
NOTE: The briskets will shrink, so I always get two.
Boiled Cabbage and Carrots
- 1 head green (savoy) cabbage, quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into sticks
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil.
- Step 2 Add the quartered cabbage and carrot sticks to the water. Cook until fork tender.
- Step 3 Remove the cabbage and carrots from the pot and drain.
- Step 4 Remove the center core from each quarter. Cut into large pieces.
- Step 5 Mix with a little butter and season with some freshly ground black pepper.
- Step 6 Serve immediately.