I’m Moving…Again! This is the 15th move that I am making and I am cleaning out the pantry, freezer and refrigerator. Typically, I use bread crumbs in my Meatloaf. However, I ran out. I did have cereal in the house, so I used that. Depending on the cereal you use, you will get a different flavor. Since I typically have Rice Krispies® in the house, that is what I used. Some cereals may require you to crush it, but for the Rice Krispies®, I just added it directly in with the meat. Once it is cooked, you can’t even tell it is in there. Truthfully, this is not the first time I have done this. I never used crackers in my meatloaf. I always used bread crumbs. Cereal is a perfect substitute.
Normally, I would just use ground beef, but I am also cleaning out the freezer, so I ended up mixing ground beef and ground pork. You can get creative with Meatloaf. Try a mix with ground beef and ground turkey to make a healthier version.
The cheese and ketchup in this Meatloaf keeps the everything moist. There is nothing worse than a dried-out Meatloaf. I only had a half a cup of colby jack and mozzarella, so I add both. When I need to clean out for moving, I don’t get picky about ingredients. I basically use what I have and leave out what I am missing like the green pepper. This is optional, but I also had a small jar of pimentos and threw that in as well.
Mix all the ingredients together and form into the shape of a meatloaf. Place in a meatloaf pan or baking dish and top with some additional ketchup. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until the meatloaf is cooked all the way through. Remove from the oven and baking dish. Let rest for several minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. Slice and serve immediately.
If you like my Meatloaf recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies®
- 1 cup shredded colby jack or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1 green pepper, small dice
- 1 small jar of pimentos (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Step 1 In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together.
- Step 2 Form and shape into a meatloaf and place into a meatloaf pan or a baking dish.
- Step 3 Top with some additional ketchup.
- Step 4 Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 60-70 minutes or until the meatloaf is cooked all the way through. Remove from the oven and baking dish. Let rest for several minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.
- Step 5 Slice and serve immediately.
NOTE: I didn’t have enough of either cheese, so a mixed them together.