Summer Salsa – Whether I grow my own vegetables or visit a local farmer’s market, I always have fresh fruits and vegetables on hand during the Summer. Mangoes are a little harder to find at a Farmers Market here, but can easily be picked up at the local grocery store.
I originally developed this recipe to be a refreshing summer salsa. However, this recipe is extremely versatile. You can also use it as a topping for fish. Try it over Tilapia, Halibut, or better yet, fish tacos. It also makes a great summer side dish for Hamburgers or Chicken. It can even be used as a topping variation to a traditional bruschetta.
This Summer Salsa is packed with flavor and is easy to make. Simple and delicious! Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
If you are not sure how to cut up a mango, no worries. Check out this video in which Martha Stewart explains how to find and cut a mango. While she places the mango half in the palm of her hand, after small knife accident early in my cooking career, I prefer to cut it on a cutting board. Personally, I like the varieties that are part red and green. The flesh of the mango tends to be more orange when ripe and adds some color to this dish.
For this recipe, it is better to cut all of your ingredients right before you put it together to keep them at their freshest. Once you assemble, you will need to refrigerate for at least one hour to let all the juices mingle.
To add a little more kick, you can add a little more minced jalapeno pepper. 1/4 cup of minced red onion will add additional flavor. The freshness of the cucumbers, mango, apple and pineapple does a great job of balancing out the heat.
A perfectly refreshing summer salsa!
- 1 cucumber, seeded and small dice
- 1 mangoes, peeled, pit removed, small dice
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and small dice
- 1 cup pineapple, cored, small dice
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and ribs removed, minced
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- juice from the pineapple
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Step 1 In a medium bowl, combine the diced cucumber, mango, apple, pineapple and jalapeno pepper.
- Step 2 Add the lime zest and juice.
- Step 3 Add the juice from the pineapple.
- Step 4 Add the finely chopped cilantro.
- Step 5 Toss to combine.
- Step 6 Lightly salt.
- Step 7 Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Note: Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.