Asian Hoisin Meatballs
Savory, Sweet and Flavorful! I have plenty of appetizer recipes, but some recipes only work for a small dinner party at home. This one will work for a larger party as well. They are great to bring to work for a department gathering or share at home for the big game. This recipe will make 60 Asian Hoisin Meatballs at one time. I have even double the recipe when needed.
These meatballs are full of flavor and typically disappear quickly. Please note that you will need to serve these appetizers with toothpicks.
Additionally, I like my recipes to be versatile. My son was always amazed after figuring out that I reinvented a meal we ate into two or three different meals. Here are a couple of ideas:
- Serve these Asian Hoisin Meatballs as a main meal over rice. Simply serve 5 or 6 meatballs per person. Top with sliced scallions.
- Don’t want to spend time making meatballs, no problem. Make a meatloaf instead and serve as a main course. Your family will love the twist to a traditional meatloaf recipe.
- Leftovers, make a hot broth soup and throw them in for a wonderful flavored Asian style soup. You can also add some noodles or rice and scallions if you like.
I was a personal chef the first time I made these meatballs. A client that was doing an appetizer party. They were a big hit. One bite and everyone was asking for more. It was a good thing I had doubled the recipe. We served the meatballs on large catering platters with toothpicks in each, but I have also had personal parties and served them in a crockpot. You just need to thin out the sauce a little.
Try these Asian Hoisin Meatballs and let me know what you think. I would love to hear if you found another way to enjoy them.
Asian Hoisin Meatballs
Savory, sweet and flavorful meatballs that make a perfect appetizer
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1/4 lb ground beef
- 1/4 lb mild Italian sausage (casing removed)
- 1/2 can waterchestnuts, drained and finely minced
- 2 large shallots, finely minced
- 3 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
- 6 scallions, finely minced (white part only)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
7 to 8 oz Hoisin Sauce to pour over meatballs
- 1/4 cup water
- Step 1 Pre-heat the oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 Mix the first 10 ingredients together very thoroughly. You want to make sure that you have mixed the Italian sausage throughout the pork, ground beef mixture.
- Step 3 Form into small appetizer size meatballs.
- Step 4 Place meatballs on a half sheet pan or a single layer in a roasting pan.
- Step 5 Bake in pre-heated oven at 340 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Step 6 Remove from pan and place into a baking dish.
- Step 7 Mix the remaining hoisin sauce with the water. Pour over all of the meatballs and mix without breaking the meatballs.
- Step 8 Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Step 9 Remove and serve warm.
Note: If you use Kikkoman Hoisin Sauce, cut back on the fresh ginger or it will be overpowering.