Italian Pot Roast
I think that pot roast and stew are the quintessential fall comfort foods. This recipe is an Italian version of a braised pot roast in a wonderful tomato sauce. It is absolutely delicious! You won’t be able to get enough of it.
I received this recipe from my cousin, Jimmy DeGrado, many years ago. Honestly, I am not sure if he developed this recipe himself or it came from a Chef that worked at the restaurant he owned called Amedeo, in the Chicagoland area. Additionally, I have tweaked it over the years. The meat falls apart and the sauce is rich and complex. Perfect for the fall unlike a summer Marinara Sauce.
It can be served over pasta, but for that true comfort food experience, this hearty Italian Pot Roast is perfect served over mashed potatoes. You will love it! Italian comfort food that is very easy to make. It instantly became a family favorite at our house.
I usually cook this in a crock pot so the meat just falls apart. However, I have also made this in the oven and in a covered roasting pan on the stove. Typically, the large roasting pan cooks across two burners. You just need to adjust the times and cook until the meat is fork tender.
Brown the trimmed and cut beef in some olive oil, with salt, garlic powder and pepper to start. Browning the meat will help develop the deep, rich flavor of the sauce. I typically slice the onions, mushrooms and green peppers. However, if I have tri-color diced peppers from the produce section of the store, I just use those.
This finished dish is best served over mashed potatoes with some grated Romano cheese over the top. Add a side salad and a glass of wine and you have a wonderful Italian meal.
Give my family’s Italian Pot Roast a try. If you love it, please leave a comment. Don’t forget to tag me, if you post your version on Instagram.
Italian Pot Roast
- ITALIAN POT ROAST
- 2 lb Chuck Roast (trim fat and cut into large pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 14 .5 oz cans Del Monte Tomatoes Diced with Garlic & Onions
- 2 6 oz can of medium black olives pitted (juice drained)
- 1 cup of red wine (I used a burgundy)
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried parsley
- Step 1 In a frying pan, sear the trimmed and cut meat on each side in the olive oil with some salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Step 2 Transfer the meat and the drippings to a 6 quart crock pot.
- Step 3 Add the remaining ingredients.
- Step 4 Cook on high for 5 hours.
- Step 5 Reduce the heat and cook for an additional 3 hours or until the meat is fork tender.
- Step 6 Stir occasionally.
- Step 7 Serve over mashed potatoes for some real Italian comfort food.