Tuna Cauliflower Skillet
I typically cook for the week on the weekend, but there have been times when I get home from work, open the refrigerator and nothing is there. I can’t tell you how many times I have eaten eggs for dinner or a granola parfait since nothing was even thawed out to make. That is why I love this Tuna Cauliflower Skillet recipe. It is a quick 30-minute meal. Perfect to make during the week. It is light, healthy and full of flavor. Guilt-free!
Tuna Cauliflower Skillet is an updated version of an old Weight Watchers recipe from the 1960s. The original recipe was for a Tuna Burger, but the burger would fall apart. Eventually, I gave up trying to get them to hold together and turned it into a skillet meal.
The original recipe called for tuna, mashed cauliflower, onion flakes, powdered milk, margarine, salt and pepper. Today, you can use frozen riced cauliflower, so there is no need to mash the cauliflower any longer. On ocassion, I add green pepper and celery to provide additional flavor. I also still use the onion flakes instead of diced onions, as it does not taste the same.
I have to admit that this is the only recipe that I make using margarine. My Mother used Blue Bonnet® Margarine and it gives this recipe a distinct flavor. A flavor and taste that I cannot achieve with butter. It is still a good recipe with butter, but I am so used to how my Mother made this, that I just continue the same way. As they say, if it isn’t broken… Plus, cooking it as a skillet meal ensures some crispy brown bits that makes this finished dish very tasty.
I can’t wait for you to try this Tuna Cauliflower Skillet recipe! It is quick and easy to make. Please comment below and let me know what you think. Remember to follow me on Facebook and Instagram.
Tuna Cauliflower Skillet
- 12 ounces canned tuna in water, drained
- 10 ounces riced cauliflower, drained
- 3 ounces powdered non-fat dry milk
- 2 ounces onion flakes
- 1 small green pepper, small dice (optional)
- 1 stalk celery, small dice (optional)
- 4 Tablespoons Blue Bonnet® Margarine
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley, crushed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Step 1 In a large skillet, melt the butter.
- Step 2 Add the drained tuna and mashed or riced cauliflower.
- Step 3 Add the powdered non-fat dry milk, the onion flakes.
- Step 4 Add the diced green pepper and celery (optional).
- Step 5 Season with salt, crushed dried parsley and freshly ground pepper.
- Step 6 Saute until lightly browned turning occasionally.
- Step 7 Serve immediately.
1 thought on “Tuna Cauliflower Skillet”
I remember mom making these as WW tuna patties. I loved them and used to make them all the time. Thanks for reminding me about them.