Italian Chicken Quesadilla
Italian Chicken Quesadilla is a great twist on a regular quesadilla. This is a perfect meal for lunch or dinner or a late night snack.
I did two separate versions. Made this once with the Chicken and then made it a second time with no meat and added sliced grape tomatoes. Both were extremely tasty.
I also layered the Italian Chicken Quesadilla two different ways and found the one that worked the best in a skillet was to place one or more tortillas in a pan. Layer the Fontina and Parmesan cheese first, then add the sliced onions, fire roasted red bell peppers, followed by the shredded chicken and additional Fontina. Top it off with some fresh basil and the another tortilla. As it cooks, you will get the most melting out of the cheese this way.
I tried adding the cheese first, chicken and then the rest of the toppings, but that didn’t work as well. If you have a Quesadilla maker I’m not sure it matters. I believe the quesadilla will cook from both sides with that piece of equipment.
Why Fontina Cheese? Fontina, is an Italian Alpine cheese. It is sweet, supple, and mild and an ideal cheese to melt down for any recipe.
I also did another version without the Chicken. I used slices of Fontina and Parmesan Cheese, sliced grape tomatoes, red onions, fire roasted red peppers and fresh basil. Topped with more Fontina and the top tortilla. I had some left over vegetables and sautéed them in the skillet to add on top. This was equally as delicious!
If you like my Italian Chicken Quesadilla recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
Italian Chicken Quesadilla
Italian Chicken Quesadilla is a perfect dish for lunch, dinner or a late night snack. A great twist on a regular quesadilla.
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups Fontina cheese, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, sliced thin
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 jar fire roasted red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- Step 1 Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Add some non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2 Place one flour tortilla in the skillet. Arrange the sliced Fontina and Parmesan cheese on top of the tortilla.
- Step 3 Add the thinly sliced red onions and thinly sliced fire roasted red bell peppers on top of the cheese.
- Step 4 Then arrange some cooked, shredded chicken and a chiffonade of basil.
- Step 5 Arrange some additional Fontina cheese on top.
- Step 6 Cover with another flour tortilla.
- Step 7 Monitor the heat and check the bottom so that it does not burn. You want everything to melt together, by pressing down on the top tortilla with a flat spatula.
- Step 8 As the bottom of the tortilla starts to brown and everything is starting to melt, turn the tortilla over and press down on new top tortilla.
- Step 9 Once cooked, remove from the skillet and place on a cutting board. Cut the tortilla into quarters and serve on a plate with a side salad.