Yes, another soup! I do enjoy soups in the winter and nothing is better than a hearty Vegetable Soup to comfort the soul. Made with plenty of fresh vegetables, this Vegetable Soup is sure to become a family favorite. It’s light, delicious and easy to make. The hardest part is chopping the vegetables and if you are like me, you can even find some of these vegetables pre-diced or shredded (cabbage) from the grocery store. I know our store carries shredded cabbage, diced peppers and onions. Don’t forget your food processor, which can dice or slice in a matter of seconds.
Vegetable Soup dates back to ancient times. The first mention was in a 5th-century Roman cookbook. Cabbage soups, which is the base for this soup, was important in medieval Italian cuisine.
Vegetable Soup is commonly eaten during the winter months and various vegetables can be used, so feel free to exchange a vegetable out if there is something you don’t like. Really, once you make this soup, you won’t go back to eating canned soup. The flavor it so much better with fresh vegetables. For this recipe, I stayed away from adding green beans or anything else a child may not want to eat. You can certainly add beans or peas, but this is my child friendly version.
I use both vegetable and beef broth. With the addition of the beef broth, I don’t miss the meat because I am still getting that beef flavor.
I typically make a big pot of Vegetable Soup since it is perfect as leftovers. It’s great for a quick lunch, dinner or a late night cup of soup by the fire. It also freezes well, so occasionally, I will put half in a freezer. Then it is easy to pull out if I don’t feel like cooking during the week.
Serve this finished dish with some crusty, artisan bread and a light salad for a complete meal. If you would like a little kick to your soup, you can add add a little Tabasco Sauce into the soup or you can serve it on the side for everyone to add as they like.
If you love this Vegetable Soup recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
A light, but flavorful vegetable soup.
- 10 oz cabbage, shredded
- 5 carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and small dice
- 3 leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
- 1 cup onions, small dice
- 1 cup scallions/green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced peppers, small dice
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 16 oz whole tomatoes, crushed through fingers
- 64 ounces vegetable stock
- 48 ounces unsalted beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- hot sauce, couple of dashes (optional)
- handful fresh chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 In a large stock/soup pot, add the prepared vegetables,
- Step 2 Add the vegetable stock, unsalted beef broth, sherry wine vinegar and hot sauce (optional).
- Step 3 Add the chopped parsley and minced garlic.
- Step 4 Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 Bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 60 minutes.
- Step 6 Serve immediately.