Fresh tomatoes from the vine will deliver a bright, concentrated tomato flavor for this dish. This Tomato Gratin is a quick and simple recipe and makes a perfect side dish for any meal.
A gratin is any dish that is topped with breadcrumbs and/or cheese and browned. The gratin got its start with French cuisine and it is typically baked or broiled in a shallow dish.
For this Tomato Gratin, I use ripe, garden-fresh tomatoes, and plenty of herbs to give this dish even more flavor. Let’s not forget the breadcrumb and grated cheese topping. Yum! Additionally, cooking the tomatoes intensifies their flavor.
Preparing this dish could not be easier. Slice the tomatoes and layer them in a baking dish. Sprinkle basil and parley over the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Then add the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle olive oil over the top and bake. Quick and simple!
Some recipes will have you mix all of the breadcrumbs and grated cheese with the olive oil. I drizzle the olive oil over the topping. Bake for 20 minutes and see if I need to add more where ever it is dry.
I also use firm, meaty tomatoes for this dish. I slice them a little thicker, at least a 1/2 inch. I also remove the seeds and juice to keep the tomatoes from getting soggy. The tomatoes will release juice while baking.
Additions: If you like you could add minced garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper. I like to leave the garlic out of this dish to capture the concentrated tomato flavor.
Tomato Gratin will go well with meat or fish. Try this light and easy side dish to compliment any Summer meal. If you make this dish, post it on Instagram and tag me. If you love this dish, please leave a comment below.
A flavorful tomato gratin that is simple and a perfect side dish for any meal.
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Step 1 Slice tomatoes. Remove seeds and juice. Layer the tomatoes in a baking dish.
- Step 2 Sprinkle chopped parsley and basil over tomatoes, getting some between the slices.
- Step 3 Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4 For the topping, combine the Italian breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Step 5 Drizzle the olive oil all over the topping.
- Step 6 Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes. Check the topping. If it is too dry, drizzle a little more olive oil. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. The final dish is done when the topping is golden brown and tomatoes are cooked.
- Step 7 Serve immediately as a side dish.