Chicken, Sausage and Sweet Potatoes
I’m not sure why but my Mother called this Jambroth. I have no idea where that name or the recipe came from. I searched the internet and was unable to find a different name, so we still call it Jambroth instead of Chicken, Sausage and Sweet Potatoes. It is basically Italian comfort food, almost a Chicken and Sausage stew.
We use mild Italian sausage for this. The mild sausage seems to blend flavors better than a spicy/hot sausage, but you can always try some hot Italian sausage to see what you like. I typically diced the green peppers and onions. We have sliced them in the past as well. It doesn’t really make a difference. Whatever is easier for you.
Making slits in the top of the chicken thighs will ensure that the meat is cooked to the bone. Keep the top of the chicken above any liquid, so the skin will get crisp. It definitely adds more flavor that way. Even though you are cooking this for over an hour, the meat will be tender.
You would think white wine should be added with chicken, but my Mother’s recipe called for red wine, so that is what I use. Also, please note that when adding wine to a dish, it will reduce down and add a salty flavor to the dish, so you can cut back when seasoning with salt.
I just use a purchased dried Italian Seasoning mix. However, you could make your own. You are already adding parsley to the dish, so you don’t need to add it in your seasoning mix. Additionally, this is a mild comfort food dish, so I don’t add cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
Angela’s Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground savory
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
Mix everything together in the roasting pan, drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over the dish and bake. I try to mix the vegetables half way through.
If you like my Chicken, Sausage and Sweet Potatoes recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
Jambroth (Chicken, Sausage, Peppers and Potatoes)
A hearty chicken stew.
- 8 Thighs
- 2 links Italian sausage (mild), cut in pieces
- 3 sweet potatoes, dice
- 2 green pepper, large dice
- 2 onions, large dice
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, to drizzle
- 1 lemon, juice only (optional)
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 In a large roasting pan, place the cut vegetable (potatoes, green peppers and onions) on the bottom
- Step 3 Make 3 slits on top of the chicken thighs and nestle them in between the vegetables. Add the Italian sausage.
- Step 4 In a large bowl, mix the red wine, chicken broth, garlic, parsley and seasonings. Mix throroughly and pour over everything. Mix with the chicken, sausage and vegetables so everything is well coated.
- Step 5 Drizzle olive oil all over everything.
- Step 6 Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over everything.
- Step 7 Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for a total of approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until everything is cook through. Mix half way through. Serve immediately.