Basic Chili Recipe
As I mentioned in my Chili Seasoning Mix recipe, I make Chili almost once a week. It is easy to make and perfect for lunch or dinner. I have changed it up over the years. We used to make Chili with all ground beef, but in an effort to make it healthier, I use a mix of ground beef and ground chicken. I prefer ground chicken over ground turkey, as ground chicken has a similar texture to ground beef.
I don’t add beans to my Basic Chili Recipe, but that is a personal preference. Feel free to add them. We do like some vegetables. I add onions, green peppers and celery. When my Mother made Chili, she would add a can a tomato soup. The tomato soup would thicken up the chili, but also made it even more mild than than this chili already is.
In a large pot, brown the ground beef and ground chicken, breaking the meat into small pieces. Depending on the fat content of the meat you use, you may want to drain the browned meat before proceeding.
Add in the crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes that have been crushed between your fingers. Also add in the tomato paste and stir to combine everything. Next add in the diced onions, green peppers and thinly slice celery. If you are going to add red kidney beans, now would be the time to add them. Finally, add in the green olives with pimentos. I don’t add in the kidney beans, you may need to add water if you do. Lastly, add in the Chili Seasoning Mix and stir. Bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for up to 1 hour or until the vegetables are soft and cooked through. Stir occasionally.
This Basic Chili Recipe is good on its own or served over elbow noodles or rice. You can top your chili with sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro and/or jalapeño slices. In the photo, I served the chili with some Tostitos Hint of Guacamole.
If you like my Basic Chili Recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
Basic Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef, 90% lean (or higher)
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed through fingers
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 16 ounces canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 1 large green pepper, medium dice
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green olives with pimentos
- 3-4 tablespoons Chili Seasoning Mix
- Step 1 In a large pot, brown the ground beef and ground chicken. Break into small pieces.
- Step 2 Add the crushed tomatoes and whole tomatoes that have been crushed through your fingers. Add the tomato paste.
- Step 3 Add the drained and rinsed red kidney beans (optional)
- Step 4 Add the diced onion and green peppers. Add the thinly sliced celery.
- Step 5 Add the green olives with pimentos.
- Step 6 Add the Chili Seasoning Mix.
- Step 7 Stir to combine everything. Bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for up to 1 hour or until the vegetables are soft and cooked through. Stir occasionally.
NOTE: You can add elbow noodles or rice to the chili when serving. Toppings: Sour cream, shredded cheese and/or jalapeño slices. (optional).