Garlic Chicken Soup
It was 86 degrees last week and today it’s 46 degrees. Welcome back cold weather! I moved to a state where nothing really freezes and I’m convinced that the germs that are out there never really die off. With Covid-19, I like to get a little extra garlic in my system, so I have created this Garlic Chicken Soup.
Nothing is more comforting than a nice bowl of Chicken Soup. Now, you have an option to make a Chicken Soup that is even more beneficial to your wellbeing. Just add Garlic. The ltalian penicillin, LOL! This recipe is actually two soups in one. It is a combination of a Chicken Soup and a Garlic Soup recipe so you get all the good flavor and nutritional benefits of both.
Garlic has been used for health benefits for thousands of years. There are various articles that state garlic boosts the function of the immune system, which makes it perfect to eat during cold and flu season. It also contains antioxidants and is a potent antimicrobial. Studies have shown that garlic assists in reducing blood pressure, improves the circulatory system and may help in detoxifying the body of heavy metals. Some studies say that it has demonstrated the ability to lessen hardening of the arteries from plaque build up. So adding garlic to your diet has plenty of positive health benefits.
Chicken Soup is the perfect comfort soup during the cold weather. Instead of the traditional Chicken Soup with noodles, this recipe uses croutons, which melt in your mouth. Plus, using seasoned croutons, adds a wonderful flavor. I typically use cooked chicken breast to give it a great fresh flavor. However, we all have those days when you may need to make something in a hurry or are not feeling well. In those cases, I use a rotisserie chicken (skin removed). I have even substituted a large can of all white meat chicken breast (drained) in a pinch.
NOTE: Due to Covid-19, I substituted 1 jalapeño pepper for the green pepper, seeds/ribs removed. Also, carrots were not available.
If you love this Garlic Chicken Soup recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
Garlic Chicken Soup
Two soups in one...Chicken Soup and Garlic Soup. Great during cold and flu season.
- Cooking Spray
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 2 large fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 48 oz low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1-2 cooked chicken breasts, small cube or shredded
- 1 carrot, small dice
- 1 medium green pepper, small dice
- 1 jar pimentos
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 box/package seasoned croutons
- 1 egg, beaten
NOTE: Due to Covid-19, I substituted 1 jalapeño pepper for the green pepper, seeds/ribs removed. No carrots were available.
- Step 1 In a stock or soup pot, lightly spray the bottom of the pan with a cooking spray.
- Step 2 Sauté the onion, celery and garlic. Do not brown.
- Step 3 Add the chicken broth, cooked cubed or shredded chicken, diced carrots, green pepper and pimentos. Season with freshly ground black pepper and a little salt. Add the lime juice. Simmer until everything are tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Step 4 Add the seasoned croutons. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Step 5 Stir in the beaten egg.
- Step 6 Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 7 Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
Note: Time Saver! Purchase a cooked, rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store and cube or shred the chicken breasts.