Stuffed Pepper Soup
Stuffed Peppers are great for dinner. However, they need plenty of time to cook. I have cooked Stuffed Peppers in the oven or in a crock pot. You just need to adjust the time for the crockpot, but typically they are more tender. However, I don’t always have the time to cook them. A great alternative is to make Stuffed Pepper Soup. Much faster and you still get that classic stuffed pepper flavor.
This hearty soup is easy to make and even easier if you have left over Chinese white rice. If not, you will need to make long-grain rice, but you still have options. You can use regular long-grain rice, use one of those boil-in-a-bag white rice options or even the kind you cook in the microwave in the cup they provide. Just make sure you drain it. Also, make sure you add the rice at the end or it will get mushy and soak up too much of the liquid.
Simply season and brown your ground beef. Add the diced green peppers and onions and cook until soft. Add in the crushed tomatoes, unsalted beef broth and the whole tomatoes that you squeeze through your fingertips to break up. Add the tomato or spaghetti sauce. Then simmer until all the flavors have come together. Finally, add the cooked white rice and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the rice is heated through. Now you have a wonderful Stuffed Pepper Soup that didn’t take hours to make.
If you want an even healthier version, use ground beef and pound ground chicken. Ground turkey can also be used, but the ground chicken tends to have the same texture as the ground beef.
I serve this soup with a hearty piece of a crusty bread.
I can’t wait for you to try my Stuffed Pepper Soup recipe! Please comment below and let me know what you think. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe. Facebook Instagram
Stuffed Pepper Soup
A great alternative to classic stuffed peppers.
- 1 pound ground beef 90% lean or higher
- 2 Green Peppers, medium dice
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 24 ounces unsalted beef broth
- 14 1/2 ounces whole tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato or spaghetti sauce
- 3/4 cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Step 1 In the bottom of soup pot or dutch oven, brown your ground beef, breaking apart any large pieces of meat. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Step 2 Add the diced green peppers and onions and cook until soft, approximately 4-6 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the crushed tomatoes, beef broth, whole tomatoes that you squeezed through your fingers. Add the tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce. The spaghetti sauce will give the dish more flavor. Mix well.
- Step 4 Simmer for 20-25 minutes until everything is tender and the flavors all come together.
- Step 5 Stir in the cooked white rice. Mix well.
- Step 6 Simmer for an additional 5-10 or until the rice is heated through.
- Step 7 Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
- Step 8 Serve with some crusty bread that you can dip in the soup.
1 thought on “Stuffed Pepper Soup”
Warm, comfy, and filling winter meal!