Kicked Up Granola
Kicked Up Granola is my sweet little addiction during the work week. Easy to prepare and pack up to take to work.
I have been making this for my family for about 10 years. However, I used to just add sweetened coconut flakes without toasting them. I wanted to try something different this time and I toasted the coconut before I added it. Wow! It added more flavor to the Granola that it had in the past. I will definitely be doing this from now on.
Like many people, I was nervous about making granola the first time, thinking it was too complex. However, it really is easy to do. Once you get the recipe down, it will become routine. The result is worth it! You will have a granola that is fresh unlike what you buy at the store.
Some people will add fruit to the mix before baking. I like to add the Craisins after it cools to keep them plump and fresh. They tend to burn in the oven.
Also, I prefer my granola to have smaller clumps. To get clumps, just press the granola into an even layer before it goes in the oven. Stir it halfway through cooking breaking up any large clumps. Press down again before it cools so it sticks together.
Make sure you let the granola completely cool before storing it in an airtight container or canning jar. It should last for a month, if your family doesn’t eat it all first.
Try this Kicked Up Granola with milk for a cereal, layer with Greek yogurt for a parfait or just eat it like a trail mix. For a variation, try adding cinnamon, change the almonds to pecans, or switch the vanilla bean paste to almond extract. The possibilities are endless.
Kicked Up Granola
A flavored packed treat in the morning. Very transportable to bring to work.
- TOASTED COCONUT
- 7 ounces of sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup puffed rice
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/8 cup brown rice syrup or other syrup (maple, butter pecan)
- 5 Tablespoon Agave Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
KICKED UP GRANOLA
- 16 ounces pre-made Granola Mix
- 4 ounces pre-made toasted coconut
- 3 ounces Craisins
- 3 ounces pumpkin seeds
- 3 ounces mini chocolate chips
- Step 1 Toasted Coconut: Preheat oven to 330°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread coconut flakes on a baking sheet in a thin layer. Place in the oven. The flakes will toast quickly, 5 to 18 minutes, depending on how moist your coconut flakes are to begin with. Stir the coconut occasionally to help ensure even color. Let cool.
- Step 2 For the Granola: In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, puffed rice and sliced almonds. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, brown rice syrup or another other syrup, agave sweetener and vanilla bean paste. Add the oil mixture to the rolled oats mixture. Mix well to coat evenly. Spread out mixture onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Press the granola into the pan to break up any large clumps. Bake at a 325 degree oven for 18-20 minutes, stirring halfway through to ensure even color. It should be a light golden color. It may be slightly wet when it comes out of the oven. It will dry as it cools. Press down the granola before it cools to get it to stick together. Let cool.
- Step 3 Kicked Up Granola: In a large bowl, combine the pre-made granola, toasted coconut, craisins, pumpkin seeds, mini chocolate chips. Mix well. Store in an airtight container or canning jar.
NOTE: Don’t have time to make the Granola. Purchase a granola cereal already made and add the remaining ingredients
Agave sweetener is preferable over regular sugar as it is a liquid and will spread over the mixture
2 thoughts on “Kicked Up Granola”
I remember your granola. Delicious!