I know it isn’t fall, but it is still a little chilly here even though Spring has started. It has been in the mid-40s, plus cold and rainy. All I wanted to eat was something warm. Baked Apples are perfect to have something light and healthy, but warm and comforting. This is a recipe that my Mother used to make. They were always so good, especially with a little spoon of ice cream.
Times being what they are with the stay at home restrictions, I made this recipe with what I had at home. Normally, I would make Baked Apples with baking apples, like Honeycrisp. Well, I had 1 Honeycrisp, 2 Granny Smith and 2 Red Delicious apples in the house, so I used what I had. The Honeycrisp came out perfect. The 2 Granny Smith fell apart and I had more of an applesauce which was very tasty. The Red Delicious held firm and didn’t seem soft enough until I cooked them a little longer.
The recipe is very easy to make. Pour 1/2 can of a lemon-lime soda in the bottom of a baking dish. My Mother always used Squirt so that is what I use. Cut the tops of each apple off and core them. Place them in the baking dish so they are standing up straight. Add a tablespoon of butter in each hollow core. Drizzle some lemon juice over the tops of each apple. This keeps the apples from turning brown and also adds additional flavor. Sprinkle the spices over each apple.
Then sprinkle of generous handful of light brown sugar over each apple and top with pecans or walnuts (halves or pieces). You can also add raisins, golden raisins or even an oatmeal topping.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the apples are soft. Baste with the pan juices several times during cooking. Serve immediately. May be served with a little a spoon of ice cream.
If you love this Baked Apples recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you made it, post your wonderful images on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to subscribe and you will be emailed each time I post a new recipe.
Delicious baked apples just like Mom used to make!
- 1/2 can lemon-lime soda (Squirt)
- 4-5 baking apples (Honeycrisp), tops removed & cored
- Lemon juice
- 4-5 tablespoons butter
- Pumpkin pie spices
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Light brown sugar
- Pecan or walnut halves or pieces
NOTE: You can also add raisins, golden raisins or even an oatmeal topping.
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 Pour 1/2 can of squirt into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Step 3 Cut the tops off of each apple and core them.
- Step 4 Place a tablespoon of butter into each of the hollow cores of the apples.
- Step 5 Drizzle lemon juice across the top.
- Step 6 Sprinkle the following over each apple, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices, ground nutmeg and ground cloves.
- Step 7 Then top each apple with a generous portion of light brown sugar.
- Step 8 Top with pecan or walnut halves or pieces.
- Step 9 Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-45 minutes until the apples are soft, basting with the pan juices several times during cooking.
- Step 10 Remove from oven and serve immediately. May be served with a little whip cream or ice cream.