Holidays! Chestnuts roasting on a open fire…well, how about in the oven instead. My Father made Roasted Chestnuts every year. During culinary school, I was lucky enough to get a chestnut knife making it much easier and safer to score them.
The recipe is very simple. Score each chestnut with a chestnut or a curved paring knife. Place the cut side up and roast in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes depending on their size. Remove from the oven. Hold each chestnut with a clean towel, one at a time, and peel removing the shell and skin.
- 1 pound Chestnuts
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 Using a sharp chestnut knife (or paring knife), score each chestnut by making an X, a cross (+), or a long slit on one side of the nut.
- Step 3 Place chestnuts in a single layer on a baking dish.
- Step 4 Bake until flesh is tender and golden, about 20-25 minutes depending on their size.
- Step 5 Remove from oven.
- Step 6 Working quickly, place 1 chestnut in a clean kitchen towel. Hold the chestnut and peel the shell and inner skin. Repeat until all chestnuts have been peeled.
- Step 7 Serve immediately or use in another dish.